VIA Carbon Free Computing - Breathe Easier!
As part of the VIA Green Computing Initiative, VIA Carbon Free Computing is a natural extension of VIA's leadership in developing the most power efficient computing products on the market. As individuals and organizations around the world look to reduce their impact on the environment, a growing concern is the reduction of one's Carbon Footprint which is a measure of the impact human activities have on the environment in terms of the amount of green house gases produced, measured in units of carbon dioxide (CO2).
VIA Carbon Free Computing addresses this issue head on, aimed at offering the world's first line of PC products certified Carbon Free. VIA works with environmental experts to calculate the electricity used by an average Carbon Free Computing product over its lifetime (assumed to be 3 years). Then from the amount of electricity used, VIA calculates how much carbon dioxide will be released into the environment mainly as a result of fossil fuel burning power plants, and then works with regional offset organizations to "offset" that amount of carbon dioxide through projects such as:
- Reforestation: Planting trees in different areas around the world that absorb (or sequester) carbon dioxide as they grow...Learn more
- Alternative Energy: Clean energies such as solar and wind provide power without the pollution that's an inevitable result of electricity generation by fossil fuel burning power plants...Learn more
- Environmental Conservation: Projects aimed at protecting our environment through donations to recognized, reputable groups that work to preserve wetlands and other necessary ecosystems...Learn more
The benefits of Carbon Free Computing can be spread through every spectrum of society starting with the organizations and individuals using Carbon Free products. These benefits can include:
- Fulfilling corporate social responsibilities
- Eligibility for sales and tenders with green requirements
- Enhancing green working environment for employee comfort and morale
- Raise awareness of energy conservation for further cost savings
For others the benefits of Carbon Free Computing can come from the offset projects themselves that can deliver not only environmental benefits for local regions but also social benefits ranging from enhanced green spaces, to safer cooking alternatives in poorer regions.
To help consumers recognize Carbon Free products, VIA has established certification and logo programs covering processors, components, and full PC systems. For all three programs VIA works closely with regional partners to offset CO2 emissions through energy conservation, reforestation, and alternative energy, giving back to the local communities.
Learn more about VIA Carbon Free Computing Logo Program and Certifications
To further underscore the importance of the environmental impact of computing, VIA is also introducing a new benchmark, TreeMark™, intended as a useful tool for organizations looking to balance environmental impact in their computing purchase decisions. TreeMark™ looks at the power consumed by a given computing product, calculates the carbon dioxide emissions produced by that product, and then calculates the number of trees it would take to remove that carbon dioxide over the product's lifetime. This provides an easy to understand benchmark enabling people to clearly understand the environmental impact of their computing solutions.
Learn more about TreeMark™ Tree Rating System